Subject: Re: Fori's Power Texture plugin??
From: Ernie Wright <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 20:19:38 -0700

Gord Davison wrote:

> My other concern with Windows BMP is that the RLE option [perhaps REAL-
> long encoding in this case?] seems very inefficient compared to other
> RLE formats like IFF and PCX. Does Windows BMP [RLE] use the standard
> lower 2-byte method?

Not sure what that would be, but it's fair to say that BMP's RLE is
comparable to other RLE schemes.  It's a little more complicated than
average, though.  A good writer is hard to implement, so the de facto
standard BMP is uncompressed.

But in the context of this plug-in, I don't know why people are getting
panicked about filling their hard drives.  You only need a BMP version
of your image for interactive positioning.  Once this is done, there's
no reason you can't substitute other images or sequences in whatever
format you like.

Right?

- Ernie